David Ortiz is recovering from second surgery in Boston

Saul Bowman
June 13, 2019

Accompanied by the medical team, the father of former Red Sox player David Ortiz, Leo Ortiz, speaks to the press, June 10, 2019, during a press conference at the clinic where David was admitted after being shot in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic.

Ortiz, after surgery in the Dominican Republic, was whisked by an air ambulance to Boston's world-renowned Massachusetts General Hospital on Monday night. His wife said on Tuesday that doctors expect to see a full recovery and that he is alert and has talked with his family.

The New York Post reported Monday that Dominican Republic authorities believe Ortiz was shot by two police officers who had been hired by a drug lord who believes Ortiz was having an affair with his wife. Ortiz's gallbladder was also removed in order to work on the liver, although the gallbladder itself was not injured, Gonzalez told ESPN.

This is the last information we have on David Ortiz's condition. The Globe and other media said the second suspect was not named publicly.

Ortiz since has undergone surgeries and was flown back to Boston where he arrived late Monday night.

Ortiz was shot at a club Sunday in Santo Domingo and underwent emergency surgery to fix damage done by the bullet to both his intestines and his liver.

Feliz Garcia was tackled by a crowd after the shooting, beaten and handed over to the police.

"It was the act of a hired killer", Leo Lopez, Ortiz's spokesman, told Diario Libre, a Dominican newspaper.

According to reports, citing police and witnesses, Ortiz was shot in the back at close range, with the bullet exiting through the front of his torso.

Obama referenced Ortiz's famous speech at Fenway Park in April 2013 ("This is our f--ing city!") just days after the Boston Marathon bombings that helped unite the city in a time of distress. It wasn't known whether the second person was the shooter police were looking for.

David Ortiz, who suffered a gunshot wound to the lower back Sunday night, took a few steps Tuesday and also "has talked to some loved ones", per a report from ESPNDeportes' Marly Rivera.

Here are the details of the second suspect being arrested.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article