Huawei reportedly cut off by major chipmakers Intel and Qualcomm

Ann Santiago
May 20, 2019

A report from Reuters claims Google is ceasing most partnerships with Huawei, and future phones from the company won't have access to the Play Store and other services.

The ban will have little to no effect on Huawei's smartphone business on the Chinese mainland since most users in China stopped using Google services after the company pulled out from the world's largest smartphone market almost a decade ago. Koontz told Bloomberg Huawei "is heavily dependent on USA semiconductor products and would be seriously crippled without supply of key US components", and the ban could "cause China to delay its 5G network build until the ban is lifted, having an impact on many global component suppliers".

Huawei will continue to provide security updates and after sales services to all existing Huawei and Honor smartphone and tablet products covering those have been sold or still in stock globally.

That decision left Google with little choice but to cut Huawei off from many new Android developments.

However, they will not be able to update to any newer version of the Android operating system when it becomes available and will not get security updates of their operating system.

The move sees Google revoking Huawei's Android license and restrict it to using the Android Open Source Project (AOSP).

Critics of the company have said using Huawei equipment in key communications infrastructure poses a risk to national security because of alleged links between the firm and the Chinese state.


According to Bloomberg chipmakers Intel, Broadcom, Qualcomm and Xilinx have all stated that they won't be supplying Huawei until further notice.

Huawei's statement comes after pressure from the Trump administration forced Silicon Valley firms to comply with a blacklisting of the Chinese company announced last week.

The listing will have an immediate affect on the telecommunications company, which has significant backing from the Chinese government.

Huawei, which uses Google's Android operating system for smartphones, said it would continue to provide security updates but gave no indication what phone services might be affected.

"Huawei Technologies Co Ltd will immediately lose access to updates to the Android operating system, and the next version of its smartphones outside of China will also lose access to popular applications and services including the Google Play Store and Gmail app", Reuters noted.

Suffice to say the next few days will be interesting for Huawei and any news is likely to send shock waves through the mobile world on a global scale.

On Monday, Google said it was "complying with the order and reviewing the implications", but assured Huawei users that their current phones would continue to work. Outside China is a different story; Huawei has huge markets in places like Europe and India where Google's Android app ecosystem is the only viable option.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER