Israeli forces kill Palestinian during Gaza protests

Saul Bowman
January 27, 2019

Israel confirmed that it approved the transfer of a third payment of $15 million in Qatari funds into the Gaza Strip after an nearly two-week delay, but Hamas has refused to accept the money.

Israel's permission is required since the cash must be delivered via its territory.

Palestinians - who unlike Israeli citizens are subject to military regulations, including longer detentions without trial - say Israel is slow to act on anti-Arab violence.

On Thursday, however, an Israeli official said that Israel's Security Cabinet had chose to allow the transfer.

Chairman of the National Committee for the Reconstruction of Gaza, Ambassador Mohammed Al-Emadi, said that "after the Hamas leadership informed us that it did not accept the grant for salaries, it has been agreed that the grant money be allocated for humanitarian projects".

Israel launched airstrikes, hitting a Hamas military training camp in Gaza, just hours after a the latest tension at the border with Israel on Tuesday. Israel and Egypt imposed the blockade after Hamas, an Islamic militant group that seeks Israel's destruction, seized control of Gaza in 2007.

"The preconditions that were given by Israel for securing the Qatari payments were unacceptable".


Reports from the Gaza Strip say that there were explosions being heard in the central part of the Strip.

Last week, Netanyahu admitted that Israel had attacked Iranian and Hezbollah targets in Syria.

The father of Hadar Goldin - an Israeli soldier killed in the 2014 Gaza war and whose body Hamas is still believed to hold - told army radio Tuesday he believes the funds are ultimately going to Hamas.

"That's what happens when you capitulate to terrorism", Simha Goldin said.

Since March, thousands of Palestinians in Gaza have demonstrated on the buffer zone with Israel, demanding the Palestinian refugees' right of return and an end to Israel's crippling 12-year siege of the small coastal enclave.

Israeli prosecutors on Thursday charged a Jewish 16-year-old settler with manslaughter after he allegedly threw a stone at a vehicle in the occupied West Bank and killed a Palestinian woman.

Two Israeli soldiers have been killed. In response, an Israeli tank attacked an observation post used by Hamas.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER