Prince Philip Involved In Car Crash. Here’s What We Know

Oscar Cross
January 19, 2019

Queen Elizabeth II's 97-year-old husband Prince Philip emerged "shocked and shaken" but unhurt from a auto crash that rolled his Land Rover and stirred a debate in Britain Friday about old age and driving.

The BBC reports the Duke of Edinburgh, 97, was driving a Range Rover and was pulling out of a driveway onto the A149 when the accident happened.

A police spokeswoman said: "As is standard procedure with injury collisions, the incident will be investigated and any appropriate action taken".

The duke has also made contact with the driver and passenger of the other auto, who were injured, and sent his "best wishes".

While Queen Elizabeth concentrates on affairs of state, Prince Philip is in charge of matters such as overseeing the royal estates.

Police officers are seen at the scene where Britain's Prince Philip was involved in a traffic accident.

The Duke of Edinburgh managed to escape injury after his Land Rover overturned in Norfolk yesterday.

A palace spokeswoman confirmed he had been in contact with the occupants of the other auto involved in the accident - two women who were injured, and a baby.


Images published by the British media showed a dark Land Rover on its side by the curb, driver's side down, its windscreen smashed, glass and metal debris scattered across a road running by a leafy park.

After all, Prince Philip manned the wheel when escorting former President Barack Obama and former First Lady Michelle Obama around Windsor when they visited back in 2016.

Both women have since been released from the hospital.

Philip and the Queen have been staying at their Sandringham residence about 112 miles away from London, since the Christmas holiday.

On Thursday evening, the palace said the 97-year-old was uninjured in the incident. He was conscious but very shocked and shaken.

Philip, who retired from public duties in the summer of 2017 and last April had a hip replacement operation, is known to remain active.

After dragging Philip from the vehicle, Warne said that the prince "stood up and was unharmed but was obviously very shocked". "He had other things on his mind, I'm sure".

Although not everyone has worded it quite as strongly as Burke, Philip's crash has sparked a debate about elderly people driving - with some people suggesting that once motorists hit a certain age, they should give up driving or have to carry out a re-test.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER