North Korea hiding bases that could launch nuclear missiles at US

Saul Bowman
November 16, 2018

U.S. President Donald Trump says he was not surprised by a recent widely-circulated report on North Korea's secretive missile bases, insisting there was nothing new in the findings.

Pyongyang halted missile and nuclear bomb testing earlier this year but USA and South Korean negotiators have yet to elicit from North Korea a concrete declaration of the size or scope of its weapons program me or a promise to stop deploying its existing arsenal.

The New York Times (NYT) first reported the CSIS imagery with the headline "In North Korea, Missile Bases Suggest a Great Deception".

He took to Twitter to say he's fully aware of the missile base that is referred to in the report, . stressing nothing out of the ordinary is happening. The spokesman, Kim Eui-keum, said that Pyongyang had never agreed to shut down its short-range missile bases. But, the way the negotiations have moved since then it is obvious that North Korea is not willing to give up its entire nuclear and ballistic missile programme.

South Korea's top nuclear envoy is seeking to visit Washington as early as next week to discuss the launch of a "working group" with the United States for closer coordination on North Korea's denuclearization, diplomatic sources in Seoul said Wednesday.

North Korea has boasted of its missile prowess and said that it can hit the continental United States, although many experts are skeptical of the claim.

"I think there needs to be a cost for North Korea's. resistance", Kinzinger said.

It's true that the North Korean missile program was never included in the Singapore statement signed by both leaders, and would not appear to breach any other agreements signed by Pyongyang.


North Korea offered to dismantle a major launching site following talks with the US. "What everybody is anxious about is that Trump is going to accept a bad deal - they give us a single test site and dismantle a few other things, and in return they get a peace agreement".

Some 50 to 90 kilometres (31 to 56 miles) from the demilitarised zone that has separated the two Koreas since 1953, "these bases are far enough forward to provide coverage of critical facilities in the northern two-thirds of South Korea, yet far enough from the DMZ to be beyond the range of South Korean and U.S. long-range artillery", the report said.

In the vaguely worded agreement, Trump and Kim pledged to build a "lasting and stable peace regime on the Korean Peninsula" and to "work toward complete denuclearization" of the peninsula.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had been scheduled to meet Kim's right-hand man, Kim Yong Chol, in NY last week to discuss denuclearization efforts and prepare for a possible second summit, according to the State Department.

"I assume the meeting was delayed because both sides realized that significant progress is not possible at this time, due to the major differences between the US and [North Korea] on denuclearization", said Samore.

Last week, North Korea abruptly called off a new round of negotiations with U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo in which the two countries were to discuss denuclearization efforts and prepare for a possible second summit between Trump and Kim. The White House has promised Pyongyang that it would lift harsh economic sanctions and facilitate financial investment into the country once its nuclear weapons program is completely and verifiably shuttered.

Many observers, including the Central Intelligence Agency, believe that Kim has no intention of ever giving up his nuclear weapons.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER