Axed Chelsea boss Conte releases statement

Arnold Nichols
July 16, 2018

Chelsea appointed former Napoli boss Maurizio Sarri as their new manager with the Italian signing a three-year deal and promising to bring "entertaining football" to Stamford Bridge.

Sarri has been no stranger to controversy in his managerial career and the 59-year-old had to offer Chelsea assurances with regards to his viewpoint and future behaviour before they agreed to make him Antonio Conte's successor, according to a report in the Telegraph.

"I think Chelsea is a good team", he said."The problem is that in England there are another five, six very good teams".

Only Manchester City's Pep Guardiola has more league wins (32) than Maurizio Sarri (28) in 2017/2018 Premier League season.

Conte won trophies in each of his two years with Chelsea but missed out on Champions League qualification for this season after a fifth-place league finish, 30 points behind champion Manchester City. "I am excited to play in such an intense league for a team that gives everything to play and win".

"Maurizio's Napoli side played some of the most exciting football in Europe, impressing with their attacking approach and dynamism, and his coaching methods significantly improved the players at his disposal", she said.


Chelsea have not been massive spenders in recent times but they will certainly have to cough up the cash if they want to bring one of the best defenders in the world to Stamford Bridge.

However, many media houses claimed Napoli used the midfielder to ease Sarri's move to Chelsea.

Blues legend Gianfranco Zola is also expected to join the club as Sarri's assistant, after Antonio Conte's reign ended today.

Sarri has given his first interview since joining Chelsea, speaking to official club app The 5th Stand.

Conte was sacked just 55 days after guiding Chelsea to FA Cup glory at Wembley and a year after winning the Premier League. However with Sarri still under contract with Napoli, and Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich reluctant to spend in light of his visa issues, all parties had been left in limbo until Conte was finally relieved of his duties on Friday.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER