Trump Is Skipping the White House Correspondents' Dinner Again

Saul Bowman
April 9, 2018

US President Donald Trump, who has feuded with several media personalities and organisations, will not attend the White House Correspondents' Association annual black-tie dinner for the second straight year, the president of the group says. (A producer at WABC said that Mr. Trump had recorded the interview on Thursday morning.) The president said on the air that he was fond of Mr. McGuirk, who, with his co-host, Sid Rosenberg, started the show last week. He called the media "so bad" and "so fake", adding, "I want to get it straightened out with the press before I do it". "So it's probably unlikely I'll do it".

The dinner, an annual feature in Washington since 1921, is billed as a celebration of the First Amendment.

The president's decision did not come as much of a surprise.

This year, White House press secretary Sarah Sanders will attend the April 28 dinner and represent the administration at the head table.


However, unlike past year, senior administration officials, including White House Press Secretary Sarah Sanders, would be attending the dinner. Last year, he became the first president to skip the dinner in 36 years.

Cabinet members and staffers are also free to attend, a message welcomed by West Wing aides who were forced to sit out the celebrations previous year.

Mr. Trump's nine-minute appearance on WABC was not exactly an outlier when it comes to high-ranking administration officials making time for local NY programming. According to the WHCA, the president will also "actively encourage" administration officials to attend. It includes acknowledgement of award-winning reporting and the presentation of journalism scholarships.

Trump was the first US President not to attend the event since Ronald Reagan skipped it in 1981 when he was recovering from an assassination attempt - but still managed to phone in to the event from his hospital bed.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER