Yobe girls school attack: 48 missing students return - Commissioner

Saul Bowman
February 22, 2018

Authorities in northern Nigeria say as many as 50 girls remain missing several days after an attack on a village by Boko Haram extremists.

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has expressed concern over the conflicting reports on the girls who fled Government Secondary School, Dapchi, Yobe state, following a Boko Haram attack on Monday night.

"Some of them ran long distances from their school while some slept even on the bare floor in the night to escape being captured.

No case of abduction has so far been established", he told reporters in the Yobe state capital, Damaturu.

Yobe police commissioner Abdumaliki Sunmonu, said the students are being profiled to know who is missing.

"We also urge the All Progressives Congress (APC)-controlled Federal Government to live up to its basic responsibility of protecting lives and property in our country".

Boko Haram group had reportedly invaded the Government Girls Secondary School, Dapchi premises around 7 PM while students were breaking their weekly fast on Monday.

"We are still collecting the details on the attack, census of the girls and the general public", he said.


One of the escaped girls told PREMIUM TIMES on Tuesday that she saw their attackers pushing some of her schoolmates in a truck and drove away with them. "We have the feeling they were taken by the gunmen". "There are reports that more girls have returned to the school after the head count", the Police chief said.

"Many of the students some of whom are indigenous had scurried to safety in different directions".

He, however, said he could not confirm if some girls were abducted.

"The students told us that numerous girls ran into the bushes and into nearby villages". The army still largely controls access and infrastructure has been devastated by the conflict.

The effort has been intensified by the government and security personnel to trace those still at large."Said another source".

As the issue gained world attention, spawning the hashtag #BringBackOurGirls, the then president Goodluck Jonathan was increasingly criticised for his lacklustre response.

Security analysts told AFP on Tuesday that government ransom payments to secure the release of the Chibok girls could have given the under-pressure group ideas for financing.

"They're spending a lot of money on arms and logistics".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER