How Boston Herald reporter was allegedly tricked into Tom Brady contract story

Arnold Nichols
February 10, 2018

On the heels of the San Francisco 49ers making quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo the highest-paid player in the National Football League with his new five-year, $137.5 million deal, the Boston Herald's Ron Borges reported via unnamed sources close to Tom Brady that the Patriots QB was ready to sit out all of this year's offseason organized team activities unless he got a comparable deal to what his old backup got.

A Boston Herald report that said New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady would sit out from all off-season activities unless the team upped his salary has been pulled from the newspaper's website due to sourcing questions.

This isn't the first time Borges has gotten into hot water over his writing.

"Nick in Boston" also texted his conversation with Borges over to Kirk and Callahan, who shared that exchange on Twitter. But it was revealed on WEEI Friday morning that one of the station's callers, "Nick in Boston, " had been texting Borges while pretending to be Don Yee, the agent for both Brady and Garoppolo.


The Boston Herald has pulled an article from veteran sportswriter Ron Borges and suspended his regular columns, the paper announced on Friday, after a story about a money-hungry Tom Brady turned out to be false. Many reports said that $74 million of that is guaranteed.

Borges indicated in the column that he had multiple sources.

Only one problem - it looks as if Borges based the premise of his column on hoax texts sent to him purporting to be from Brady's agent Don Yee.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER