Casey Affleck Steps Down As Oscar Presenter

Oscar Cross
January 27, 2018

When presented with the trophy by actress Brie Larson past year, she refused to clap for the actor.

The Academy tells us.

Casey Affleck has pulled out of his presenter role at this year's Academy Awards, where he was due to hand over the Best Actress statuette, over historical harassment allegations against him.

According to our sources.


In their statement, Casey and his rep said: "it is a tradition" for the previous year's victor to present the honor, but Casey will not do it this year out of respect for the Time's Up and #MeToo movement.

Deadline reported that Affleck thought his presence would be a distraction and he wanted the focus to be on the actresses rather than on the controversy surrounding him. During last year's awards season, accusations of inappropriate behavior on his part on the set of 2010's I'm Still Here resurfaced.

Affleck, who has always vehemently denied any wrongdoing, employed the services of celebrity lawyer Marty Singer - known as "Hollywood's guard dog" - and settled for an undisclosed amount in both cases. "I was hurt and upset - I am sure all were - but I am over it", he wrote to theNew York Times.

Affleck has seemed to dismiss the allegations, telling Variety in a 2016 interview, "People say whatever they want". "Sometimes it doesn't matter how you respond. I've said all that I need to say about that topic". "But it shouldn't be, because everybody has families and lives". Oscar-winning actress Brie Larson presented the award to him during the 2017 ceremony and many noticed the actress' refusal to clap for the actor, a silent demonstration of her disapproval. Michael De Luca and Jennifer Todd - who are producing this year's ceremony - have reportedly been thinking of breaking tradition to present this year's acting awards as well.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER