How a selfie taken minutes before the death solved a murder mystery

Saul Bowman
January 18, 2018

On Monday morning, 21-year-old Cheyenne Rose Antoine pleaded guilty to killing 18-year-old Brittney Gargol, who was discovered fatally injured on a road near the Saskatoon landfill two years ago.

After the evidence emerged, Antoine admitted to killing Gargol, though she says she doesn't remember it. An anonymous tip eventually led police to a witness, a person who Antoine had hysterically confessed the crime to that evening.

"It's quite remarkable how the police developed this information", prosecutor Robin Ritter told CBC.

Once they identified the victim as Gargol, the police sifted through her social-media accounts and came across a photo of Gargol and Antoine posted to Facebook six hours before Gargol's body was found. That post was on Facebook only a few hours before Gargol's death. In an attempted diversion Antoine posted again on Facebook, asking Gargol if she had got home safely.

Antoine said she and Gargol were best friends and were out drinking when they got into an argument, the CBC reported. "It shouldn't have ever happened", she said.

Now, one is dead and the other has been sentenced to seven years in jail for her friend's murder. She was sentenced to seven years behind bars - a joint submission request from the Crown and defence - early Monday afternoon. "Nothing I say or do will ever bring her back", Cheyenne said in a statement issued through her lawyer. Antoine claims she has no memory of the strangling - but didn't deny that she killed her. They believe she used it to strangle her friend.

Speaking to the press outside court, she said: "I think that the word motive doesn't have much relevance in this particular case". I'm really, really sorry.

Her legal advisor said her customer had endured a very long time of mishandle in the Saskatchewan mind framework and had gone to police to report manhandle by non-permanent parents a month prior to the killing.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article