12 displaced after Christmas morning fire on Far South Side

Saul Bowman
December 26, 2017

A fire that broke out in the bathroom of a Magnolia Street home damaged the home Christmas Eve.

The fire started on the stove top where residents were cooking, he said. Once fire crews arrived, they found smoke coming from the eaves of the house.

Witnesses on the scene say a neighbor kicked down the door to rescue a man.

No one was injured in the blaze, and although some residents were out of town, at least two were displaced from their home, the department said.


A man died at an Abington apartment complex yesterday in a fire that remains under investigation.

The preliminary cause is accidental, as a result of an electrical failure, fire officials said.

The fire was reported at about 11:45 p.m. on 270 King St. Firefighters responded quickly and extinguished the flames, said Dennis Leger, Springfield Fire Department spokesman.

The Red Cross assisted both families, which included four adults, three children and their pets. The fire also damaged a nearby home.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER