Several countries condemn Houthi missile attack on Riyadh

Saul Bowman
December 22, 2017

The Houthis' Al Masirah TV reported that a Burkan H2 ballistic missile had been targeted at a royal palace in Riyadh.

The reported missile launch on Tuesday was the Houthis' second since last month, when the group launched a rocket deep in Saudi Arabia that was intercepted near the Riyadh global airport. The rebels said the attack was to mark 1,000 days since the Saudi Arabia-led coalition started its military offensive.

The Saudi aggression on Yemen was remarkably intensified on Wednesday as the KSA warplanes raided the residential areas in Sanaa and Saada, claiming 12 martyrs and 8 wounded, including women and children, and causing wide-spread horror among the civilians.

They added that "this escalation by Houthi militias would increase tensions and escalate conflicts". "The more crimes you perpetrate, the more tyrannical you are, you will meet nothing but more missiles".

Iran denies arming Houthi rebels in Yemen who are fighting Yemen's government and a Saudi-led coalition.


The missile, which the USA said, bears the hallmarks of weapons supplied by Iran, did not cause any damage or casualty.

"Targeting residential areas through ballistic missiles is a violation of worldwide humanitarian laws".

Houthi spokesman Mohammed Abdul-Salam tweeted that a ballistic "Volcano H-2" missile was used in the attack. Later, a UN-appointed panel had found that the missile was manufactured in Iran.

Iran's Foreign Ministry Spokesman Bahram Qasemi said that the Islamic Republic's "strong and official protest at the U.S. ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley's injudicious and baseless allegations was conveyed" to the Swiss envoy.

Following the latest missile launch, Washington has warned Tehran is dragging the world "deeper into a broadening regional conflict".

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER