Officer's camera catches attempted murder in SC

Saul Bowman
August 12, 2017

Dramatic video recorded by a pair of eyeglasses with a camera in them captured the moment a SC officer was shot at least three times on New Year's Day in 2016.

Solicitor Duffie Stone announced Wednesday that a jury found 29-year-old Malcolm Orr of Estill guilty of attempted murder and possessing a weapon in a violent crime. It was the maximum sentence for the charges.

Orr was spotted walking away from the store and fit the description of the suspect, leading Smith to order him to stop.

Stone described how Smith was sacked upon "not once, not twice, not three times, or four, or five, or six, or seven, but eight times" during the shooting, which left the officer with broken arm bones and a "life-threatening" neck injury.

An officer wearing camera glasses captured video of the moment he was shot four times at close-range by a robbery suspect. He would later call it the best 30 bucks he ever spent.

Smith can be heard on the recording telling an emergency dispatcher, "Tell my family that I love them".

Smith is still recovering from his injuries and remains on medical leave, according to WJCL 22. He fires off at least eight rounds, hitting Smith at least three times.

Thankfully, Officer Smith was able to run back to his vehicle and radio for help.

Dramatic Video Captured Shooting of South Carolina Officer
Dramatic Video Captured Shooting of South Carolina Officer

-"Take your hands out of your pocket!"

But the man continues to walk away slowly, ignoring Smith's commands.

Smith tells a dispatcher he thinks he's been hit in the neck and that his left arm is broken.

A SC man has been sentenced to 35 years in prison after a police officer's eyeglass camera recorded the man shooting him.

Thankfully, Smith was able to tell his family himself. I don't know. Where are you shot at?

"I had nightmares sometimes, stuff like that, about the incident", Smith said.

At that point, the video shows Orr quickly drawing a 9mm handgun and firing multiple times - even as he kept the cellphone to his ear with his other hand. He told WJCL TV that he has nightmares about that day, but that he still hopes to return to work sometime early next year.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article