U.S. says 4 wounded in Afghan attack that killed 2 U.S. troops

Saul Bowman
August 6, 2017

A suicide bomb attack in Afghanistan on Wednesday killed two American troops as they were traveling in a convoy near the airport in the southern city of Kandahar, the USA military said, in a strike claimed by the Taliban insurgency.

The Pentagon has identified two soldiers killed in Afghanistan this week in a suicide attack in Kandahar.

"After seven days of heavy fight, Afghan security forces managed to take control of Jani Khel early on Friday morning", the spokesman for Paktia's governnment, Abdullah Hasrat, told dpa.

Mohammad Dawood, spokesman for the National Directorate of Security, said the attacks on checkpoints were all beaten back.

No one immediately claimed responsibility for the attack but Western officials say most insider attacks stem from personal grudges and cultural misunderstandings rather than insurgent plots.

In recent weeks, the Taliban have been increasing their attacks on towns and cities across the country.


Thursday evening's attack hit the NATO patrol near the town of Qarabagh, barely 30 kilometers (18 miles) north of Kabul, the Afghan capital, the US military said.

On Wednesday an attack in Kandahar killed two U.S. Army soldiers from the 82nd Airborne Division.

The wounded were all in stable condition at the Bagram Airfield military hospital.

An ANCOP officer was also wounded in the crossfire.

At least 36 people were killed and 42 others wounded last week after a auto bomb struck a bus carrying employees from Afghanistan's ministry of mines and petroleum in western Kabul.

The nascent Afghan National Defense and Security Forces established with the support of the US and North Atlantic Treaty Organisation have been struggling since in the wake of ragging armed insurgency by the Taliban and a number of other armed groups. Witnesses reported a second explosion 10 minutes after the first bomber blew himself up.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER