Section of Minneapolis school collapses, at Least 1 Dead

Saul Bowman
August 4, 2017

One of the five hospitalized was in critical condition, he said.

One person previously unaccounted for had been found safe and not at the site.

Minneapolis Fire Chief John Fruetel said two bodies were pulled from the rubble on Wednesday. However, the department then said that fatality had not been confirmed.

Noon: Minneapolis Fire officials say they are still working to identify who the missing people are and whether or not they were in the building at the time of the explosion. Seven people were admitted to the hospital.

Carlson's wife, Barbara Carlson asked for privacy when reached by phone late Wednesday just before authorities announced they had recovered her husband's body.

Tyner said firefighters from other cities were assisting in the search and getting through the rubble.

Three remain in hospital, with one in a critical condition according to the Hennepin County Medical Center.

Injuries include broken bones, lacerations and head wounds, officials added.

The few students in the building - school is now not in session - managed to escape the blast, according to the newspaper.

Local investigators - soon to be joined by agents of the National Transportation Safety Board - continued Thursday to try and find the cause of a large explosion that killed two people at a private Minneapolis high school.

The explosion rocked and set ablaze the upper school at 10:23 a.m., causing a partial collapse.

Tyner declined to say if those people were school employees or part of the construction crew, which he said was doing boiler work.


The school released a statement earlier in the day saying all of its summer program students and staff were "accounted for and safe".

City records show that Eagan-based Master Mechanical Inc. was issued a permit on June 7 for "gas piping and hooking up meter" at the address.

Fire officials are still assessing how to inspect the impacted area. Fire officials say contractors were working on the building at the time. One was a longtime receptionist and the other was a custodian at Minnehaha Academy.

"It would have been dramatically worse. we were pretty lucky in that sense", he said. Part of the brick building collapsed after the explosion, authorities said.

Tuition fees at the school cost between $12,470 per year for kindergarteners and $21,280 for those in Grade 12.

However, three people are unaccounted for, according to the local fire department. The power went out, windows shattered and glass and ceiling tiles "rained down", she said.

Another trio was said to have been rescued from the roof of the school.

A story in the school newspaper featured Carlson, who was known to hand out Dilly bars to students and always greeting them in the hallways.

"About the time the man sprinting down the street got to the end down here there was a huge explosion", Mahler said.

Emergency workers respond to an explosion at Minnehaha Academy in Minneapolis.

FARGO - One person has been confirmed dead after a portion of a Minneapolis school collapsed Wednesday morning.

Tuition fees at the Minnehaha Academy cost between $12,470 A year for kindergarteners and $21,280 for those in Grade 12.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER