Liverpool abandon pursuit of long-term transfer target

Arnold Nichols
July 30, 2017

Similar to the Reds, Leipzig will be competing in the Champions League next season and it will be the flawless opportunity to see whether Keita can continue to deliver the goods in one of the hardest club competitions in the world.

Liverpool's pursuit of Naby Keita is '100%' over, according to RB Leipzig boss Ralph Hasenhuttl.

Once again, Leipzig - who finished runners-up in the Bundesliga last season - rejected Liverpool's offer and having previously made it clear to Anfield officials that they did not welcome the interest in Keita, refused to consider any deal, despite the size of the financial package.

Jurgen Klopp had targeted the Guinea worldwide, 22, as being someone who would provide drive and dynamism to his midfield and was prepared to back his judgment of the player with the biggest transfer outlay in the club's history.

Liverpool will reportedly reignite their interest in Keita next summer as he has a release clause in his contract that can be triggered at the end of next season.


"I know Naby from the very first day when he came to Salzburg", he said, as reported by the Guardian.

Asked about Liverpool's withdrawal from the race for Keita's signature, Hasenhuttl, speaking after his side's 1-0 defeat against Sevilla in the Emirates Cup, said: "That's good. They will finish their transfer activities and that is okay for me". They're the two most important players on our team.

"Everyone can see how important Naby Keita is with our game". Unfortunately, the other teams are also really pretty strong in England, so we have no choice but to be at our highest.

"They (Liverpool) will not be the only one I think".

"Until next summer we keep it [the door] closed". We don't have many injuries now, which is the best news and if we can stay fit, we can be very strong. "The first time in the Champions League is a great thing for Naby", he said.

Other reports by

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER